Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I Haven't Slept in 30 Hours

I don't think I've ever been so excited to go to sleep.

Yesterday morning was fairly relaxed as we closed up the last few bags. After tearful goodbyes to Mom and Hannah, Dad and I were on our way to London Heathrow. The flight was comically empty and almost everyone claimed a row to themselves. 

 While Dad managed to get some sleep, I simply came up with about two dozen possible ways to lay across two airplane seats and stay awake. But it was fairly amusing to watch everyone else on the airplane sprawled out.

My Dinner 
Dad's Dinner
After the most mediocre plane breakfast I've ever been given, we landed over London. I was looking forward to seeing the city...but it was still dark outside! We got a bus to another terminal, went through customs (we got an incredibly nice and helpful lady, thank goodness!), went through security again (which took forever), and finally got to our gate. 

No thanks. 

The British Airways flight from LHR to EDI was honestly the most pleasant I've ever been on. The seats were comfortable and roomy (aside from the fact that we were seated in the emergency row and couldn't have bags under the chair in front of us) and the breakfast was absolutely delicious!
My full English breakfast...with a real teacup for
tea or coffee!  
My first view of Scotland 
All three suitcases arrived at EDI with no problems so we got our rental car and were on our way! Unfortunately, we had some serious problems with the GPS but once we got it working, everything went a little better...

I thought this sign reminding you to drive
on the left was hilarious.
Edinburgh is undoubtably a beautiful city, but with almost no parking. After spending about 30 minutes trying to find somewhere to park, we got an international SIM card for my phone and picked up my dorm stuff from Argos. We were exhausted from the work of driving (staying on the left side is harder than you would think), so we opted to head to St Andrews.

The drive to St Andrews was longer than expected, but beautiful and fairly simple. I was surprised to see so many mountains...and patches of ground covered in snow! 

We checked into our hotel in St Andrews, which is absolutely lovely, and set off to explore a little bit. We wanted to get the things I needed from Superdrug, but it closed at 5:30 p.m., so we just walked up and down the main street with shops and checked out the grocery stores. It was already dark by the time we got to St Andrews so it was hard to get a feel for the town. 

I convinced Dad that we should go to Nando's and it was magical. Then it was back to the hotel to do some reorganizing of bags. We have to get an early start tomorrow morning to move into my dorm...but we have to find it first! I'm looking forward to getting settled in and finally seeing St Andrews in the daylight.