Sunday, January 25, 2015

Going into Town

Yesterday, I didn't get out of bed until 10am. And in case you can't tell by the time on this blog post, I didn't today either. Oops.

Yesterday, once I was finally up and showered, I headed into town. I practiced the walk to St Katharine's Lodge, where my classes are, and figured out that's it's about 25 minutes. Then I explored a used book store in town, dropped into Boots for a look around, and headed on to H&M.

Did I mention that there's an H&M in the middle of Market Street? I ended up buying a hat that was on sale for 5 pounds that I'm quite in love with. From there, I headed on to a stationary store where I bought notebooks for my classes. I was appalled at how crowded Pret was at 2pm; I had to wait a few minutes to get a table!

My friend, Ali, met me there and after I finished eating, we walked around town. We decided to walk all the way up Market Street, where we ran into the old cathedral and the ocean. Then, we walked all the way down The Scores, enjoying the beautiful views. We found a bookstore on our way back, which we spent a half hour in just admiring their collection. You ought to be proud of me, because I didn't buy anything!
The cathedral was ruined during the Protestant
Reformation  
Poppies on the gate of the cathedral's burial
ground, in honor of WWI  
The view from The Scores 
St Andrews ruined castle
(yes, we have a CASTLE)
When I got back to my room, I discovered that the girl who lives across from me was arriving back. Her name is Frankie and she's from England, but lived in Atlanta for a time. She and her mother were both incredibly nice, which made me feel a lot better about the kitchen situation and the dorm situation, in general.

Last night, my hall had pre-drinks downstairs, which was in all honesty a crazy affair. Ali and I went together and only talked to each other because we were fairly intimidated. Then we headed out to the reception for JSAs (Junior Study Abroad students) which was at one of the bars in the Student Union. It was packed and I discovered that a lot of the people that I'd met thus far had met each other. Is a friend group forming?? I hope so.

In other news, yesterday I watched all of the BBC miniseries Sense and Sensibility...with Dan Stevens as Edward Ferras. I think it might be the first of many watches...



1 comment: