Saturday, February 7, 2015

Attending My First Conference

Today, I woke up at 7:30am (and yes, it was terrible) to attend the St Andrews undergraduate history research conference. It's the only one of its kind in the UK and I was treated to presentations on everything from Indo-Bangladesh folk rituals to Nietzsche's view of the field of history.


A particular favorite of mine was about religion and science in the Middle Ages. I had no idea that the church was actually okay with, and at times even endorsed, dissections. Apparently women who were nominated for sainthood were often dissected to find the marks of Christ (or, alternatively, the devil) on their organs.

During our lunch break, I went to Pret and finally tried their prosciutto mac & cheese. It was magical. Why I waited this long, I've no idea.

Witchcraft.
While it was a great experience and I even made some lovely new friends, it was also an exhausting day! I left my room at 9am and didn't get back until 6:30pm, which is the longest I've been away from my room since moving in. 

I made myself a can of soup, which turned out to be disappointingly incredibly horrible. So a dinner of Cool Ranch Doritos and peanut butter from the jar, it is! After such a busy day, I'm excited to spend my evening cleaning up my bathroom, doing some reading, and watching Netflix. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment